Student Finances UK

UK Student financial aid has changed dramatically over the last 20 or 30 years with most UK students now having to take out a student loan. But there are also UK student grants and scholarships available to some students.

Government grants can be obtained to cover both tuition fees and accommodation and other living expenses. The amounts you receive for living expenses are determined by the household income of the applicant, whether or not the student lives at home and where he or she studies.


The first step is to find out if you and your university or college are eligible for student financial aid. To qualify for a grant you must be ordinarily resident in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years directly preceding your application.

You must have either UK nationality or 'Settled status' which means that, in accordance with immigration laws, you are not subject to any restrictions regarding the period you are entitled to live in the UK.

The course must one which is eligible for example it could be your first degree or an initial teacher training qualification and you must be studying and living in the UK. You probably won't be able to get a grant if you have received government funding for a first degree in the past.

There are some other courses considered eligible including, Foundation Degrees, Certificates or Diplomas of Higher Education and Higher National Certificates or Diplomas.

You can calculate both the amount of student loan you can borrow and the total of any grant you are eligible to receive here: Student finance calculator